ANAHEIM, Calif. — Cleveland on Tuesday called right-hander Luis Oviedo off the Pittsburgh waivers and added him to the club’s 40-man roster.
familiar face: If Oviedo’s name sounds familiar, it’s because the 22-year-old Venezuelan was a member of Cleveland’s international signing league in 2016 and spent five seasons with the organization before being selected by the Mets in the 2021 Rule 5 draft.
- Oviedo’s Rule 5 design rights were bought from Pittsburghand he spent the entire 2021 season in the Pirates big league squad.
- He threw 29 2/3 innings, mostly from the bullpen, across his first 22 MLB exits and hit 31 and Go 26 with an 8.80 ERA.
- Cleveland assigned Oviedo to Class AA Akron.
sinking stuff: The 6-foot-4 Oviedo throws in his mid-90s and boasts a sinker with breaking pitches that earned him some buzz as a potential player for the 2019 season.
Oviedo missed a year of development during the 2020 pandemic season and it showed in one 17.7% walk rate last year. But his fastball is averaging nearly 95 mph and he generated one 27.7% breath rate with a mix of curveballs and sliders.
young and younger
Cleveland’s active roster currently includes only three players who are 30 years of age or older. Reliever Anthony Gose and catcher Luke Maile are 31 and Bryan Shaw, who celebrated 10 years of service in the Major League on Tuesday, is 34.
- That’s the fewest 30-year-olds in a major roster. Baltimore is second with five.
- According to BaseballReference.com, the Guardians have the recent offensive roster and recent pitching staff in baseball. They average 26.1 years on offense and 26.7 years pitching.
- They were the youngest at batting (26.7) and pitching (26.3) also in 2021.
Even younger: When outfielder Riche Palacios made his MLB debut Monday, he became the seventh Guardians rookie to debut in the team’s first 16 games.
- Steven Kwan, Bryan Lavastida, Konnor Pilkington, Gabriel Arias, Tanner Tully and Kirk McCarty also made their debuts for Cleveland in 2022.
- Nine different Cleveland players debuted last season, five of which are on the current active roster.
- Ernie Clement, the seventh rookie debut of 2021, didn’t reach the major leagues until Cleveland’s 62nd game.
- Seven debuts in 16 games also tie Oakland for the most in MLB.
Tito said so: “The difficult part for us is because we brought so many young players into the squad – and that’s a good thing organizationally – it was a bit of a challenge here. We know that. I think it’s a good problem.”
When they’re hot, they’re not
Cleveland’s offense came in Tuesday with 63 runs scored in seven wins and just 12 runs in nine losses.
- The Guardians’ nine wins per game are the most in MLB, while their 1.33 losses per game are the third-worst.
- Cleveland has hit 10 or more runs on four separate occasions, the most in MLB.
- The Guardians hitters have had two runs or fewer in nine games, along with the Astros, Reds and Orioles, because they have failed to hit runs on losses.
Still up: Despite battling for goals, Cleveland leads the American League in batting (.256) and triples (seven), and is second in total hits (140) and third in slugging percentage (.408) and on-base percentage (3rd. 321).
- The Guardians have won six out of seven games in which they have scored at least four runs. The only four-run loss came in a walk-off at Yankee Stadium on Saturday.
Guardian merch for sale: Here you can order new Cleveland Guardians gear including t-shirts, caps, jerseys, hoodies and much more.
If you or a loved one have questions or need to speak to a gambling professional, call 1-800-GAMBLER or visit us 1800gambler.net for more informations
More Guardians coverage
Straw’s wall crawl impresses his teammates
Clumsy offense spoils Bieber’s start in Loss to Angels
Guardians adopt an updated scoreboard design
Palacios catches a wave on debut: takeaways
OF Palacios, C Maile replace Lavastida, McCarty
Civale seeks the protection of normalcy
Preview of the Guardians Angels series
Books about Indians of World War II published by McDowell
Guards, minus beer parade, go quiet, 10-2
Francona: Yankee fans weren’t having their best day
Talking farm system and lots of perspectives: Pluto