GRANVILLE, Ohio (May 1, 2022) — The No. 25 baseball team at Denison University kicked off their Senior Day on Sunday with an 11-4 win over Allegheny College, which resumed after a suspension mid-seventh inning on May 11. April rained again. Later in the day, the Big Red returned to the field against nationally ranked 12th-ranked Baldwin Wallace University, ending in a big 5-2 win over the Yellow Jackets.
Game 1 (Denison 11, Allegheny 4)
- The game picked up steam again at the end of the seventh inning, with Big Red already leading 8-4 after scoring in each of the first five innings of the game.
- Heading into the ninth inning, Denison extended his lead with a three-run top of the ninth inning that included a big pinch-hit home run to left field Dylan Hunter.
- For the game, Ari Fiere finished 4-for-5 with three runs scored and two RBIs during Danny Alvarez was 3-for-5 with two runs and two RBIs.
- George Viebrock returned to the mound after pitching the last inning before play was stopped, and he was able to pitch all three innings on Sunday without allowing a run to earn the four-inning save.
- Trey Holland (5-0) was credited with the win after originally pitching the first five innings of the game, allowing just four hits, two total runs, one earned run and two walks to four strikeouts.
Game 2 (Denison 5, Baldwin Wallace 2)
- After the Big Red went 1-0 down after giving up a deserved run through a mistake in the first inning, Jacob Pendergraft (1-0) went on to limit the Yellow Jackets to just one hit and one walk over the next four innings.
- Pendergraft benefited from a 6-4-3 double play to finish second at the top and a caught steal for second at the top of fourth, and after Baldwin Wallace, two runners were on base in fifth, the Denison’s offensive made itself felt in the bottom half Daniel Spencer laced a two-run home run down the left field line to give Denison a lead he would never give up.
- Denison added two more runs at the bottom of the sixth on RBI doubles from Hunter and Alvarez, and then both teams scored a run in the seventh.
- Henry Hack earned his second save of the season after pitching the last three innings that allowed three hits and an unearned run.
Senior Day (stats as of Sunday):
- Danny Alvarez is a career .360 hitter who has started in 66 of 68 games for a total of 80 hits, 61 runs, 62 RBIs, 18 doubles, nine home runs and 10 stolen bases. In 2022, Alvarez is hitting .377 with 43 hits, 32 runs, 35 RBIs, 11 doubles, five homers, and five steals.
- Payton Burch has hit .306 for his career while starting in 24 of 45 games to go along with 26 hits and 24 runs. He has started 21 of his 24 games as a senior so far, batting .329 with 24 hits, 22 runs, 10 RBIs, four doubles and three steals.
- Henry Hack has started 43 games in his career, winning 7-3 with three saves, 59 strikeouts and a 3.83 ERA in 84.2 innings.
- Matt Hastings appeared in five games in his career and recorded his first career hit and RBI against DePauw on April 7 of this season.
- Trey Holland has appeared in 11 games from eight starts and is 4-1 with two saves, 62 strikeouts and a 3.12 ERA in 49 total innings. He has started in six of his eight games so far this season and is 4-0 with one save, 40 strikeouts and a 2.00 ERA in 36 innings.
- Dylan Hunter has hit .333 for his career while starting in 53 of 74 games and amassed 71 hits, 55 runs, 48 RBIs, 18 doubles, seven home runs and 14 stolen bases. He was inducted into Denison’s Chi Alpha Sigma Chapter in 2020-21 and was named to the All-NCAC West Team. Hunter was inducted into the NCAC Academic Honor Roll in both 2019-20 and 2020-21.
- Jarret Hyder He has made 20 career starts this season and is 2-2 with 22 strikeouts in 26.2 innings.
- Kenny Lippman has started in 19 of his 28 appearances and has an 8-4 record with two saves, 113 strikeouts and a 3.61 ERA in 99.2 innings.
- Sam Maier made 15 career appearances and had one save and 11 strikeouts in 17.1 innings.
- Will McManaman has started in 29 of 36 games in his career and is 11-5 with 104 strikeouts and a 4.04 ERA in 142.2 innings. As a freshman in 2019, McManaman was named second-team all-conference and was the NCAC Newcomer of the Year.
- Taylor Perret has started in 42 of 51 career appearances and amassed a 26-8 record, along with four full games and two shoutouts. He also had 209 career strikeouts and has a 3.82 ERA over 258.1 overall innings. In 2021, Perrett was named to the All-NCAC West Team. In 2019, he was named to the NCAC All-Tournament Team after throwing five strikeouts against Allegheny for a full game shutout to send the Big Red into the championship series.
- Daniel Spencer has hit .327 for his career, started in 73 of 94 games and has 87 hits, 60 runs, 49 RBIs, 15 doubles, 2 triples, a home run and 15 stolen bases. He has started 18 of his 23 games as a senior and has 19 hits, 17 runs, 16 RBIs, five doubles and four steals.
- Justin Wernoski has appeared in 25 career games and has six hits, three runs and three RBIs in his career. He was inducted into Denison’s Chi Alpha Sigma Chapter in 2020-21 and inducted into the NCAC Academic Honor Roll in both 2019-20 and 2020-21.
Next up: Denison will host his final two home games of the regular season when the Big Red host Oberlin College’s Yeomen to a doubleheader at the Big Red Baseball Field on Wednesday, May 4 at 3 p.m.