Belmont boys’ hockey recovers from lost lead to beat Marshfield in Division 1

“He’s a guy that we know is back there and he’s a momentum breaker,” said Belmont coach Tim Foley. “We’ve been saying that all year.”

While the total number of shots might not reflect it – Belmont finished with a 21-14 lead – the intensity certainly increased in the last 15 minutes.

Belmont (19-1-3) was clinging to a 1-0 lead early in the third half, but a hook call less than a minute put the Rams on the power play. The conversion didn’t last long as a shot from the left point deflected off the post to the right of Griffin, where senior Collin Doyle struck and the game was level with 13:46 to go.

“They’re definitely a good, tough team,” Griffin said of Marshfield. “Pucks in deep, shots in the net. We just worked better, surpassed them, surpassed them. And in the end we surpassed them.”

The Marauders’ top line Donohue, senior Matty Rowan and junior Cam Fici continued their workhorse efforts, and when Rowan won a pass in the offensive zone, Donohue kicked through and slid the puck past Rams junior goaltender Brady Quackenbush for a mit 2-1 lead 10-23 to play.

“If an opponent gets the faceoff in their own zone, we try to make a team pay for it,” Foley said. “If we can jump on the faceoff, we want to make sure we can capitalize on that.”

The Rams (16-6-2) pushed for the equalizer late, but Belmont did a good job preventing the puck from going deep. When Marshfield finally got Quackenbush out for an additional attacker, a turnover just inside the zone saw the dynamic Fici score the winning goal into an empty goal with 19 seconds remaining.

“They are a very good club,” said Marshfield coach Dan Connolly. “Well trained, lots of talent, they play a great team game, great defense system and they don’t make a lot of mistakes. “Our kids played hard. They have a lot to be proud of.”

Rowan started the game scoring 3:54 when he camped up front and tipped home a Peter Grace shot from the left point. But the scoring stagnated from there, thanks to Griffin and Quackenbush at either end, as well as two solid, structured defenses that played physical style and limited chances.

“My defense does a great job of putting guys on the net,” Griffin said. “So I knew that if I could just make the first save, they could clear them out.”

State of Division 2

Canton 4, North Plymouth 1 — Junior AJ Thomas scored twice and Brennen Pecararo and Eddie Gillis added one-on-one goals to send the No. 3-seeded Bulldogs (20-2-1) through to the Quarterfinals. The Bulldogs took an early 3-0 lead and never looked back at the Canton Ice House.

5 Duxbury, 1 Dartmouth — For the second game in a row, the fifth-seeded Dragons (13-9-2) went into the third period with a one-goal lead, pulling away late after a series of snipes. The latest casualty were the No. 12 Indians (15-5-1), a fast team who matched Duxbury’s physicality in a game that was crisp and spirited across the board.

“We had a huge crowd, one of the biggest of the season,” senior Dan Bird said. “They had a huge crowd. It has only made each team compete even harder.”

Junior captain Brendan Bonner gave the Dragons a 1-0 lead with 11:31 in the second half, then Bird extended the lead to 3:42 in the semifinals. James Charrier closed the deficit moments later and the Indians were still within striking distance despite a five-minute major midway through the third game. Then suddenly, just like they did in the first round against Auburn/Millbury, the Dragons made their move together when it mattered most. Connor O’Connell, Bird and Tyler Walser – who was on the receiving end of the goal that led to the penalty – converted within four minutes as the Dragons left no doubt about it.

Walser had a large laceration above his eye that may need stitches, but Duxbury manager Mike Flaherty said there was no way he would miss the end of his last home game. The Dragons didn’t score on the power play, but their relentlessness throughout the night eventually paid off in big measure.

“I was just saying to these guys, for some reason, if we’re down or we’re not at our best, we’ll find a way to get on top,” Flaherty said. “We did it again.” Next up for Duxbury is a clash with No. 4 Masconomet on Friday.

Silver Lake 5, North Attleborough 4 — Senior Sam Dilley (two goals) equalized with 21 seconds left after junior Aiden Dunphy (one goal, three assists) forced overtime to force overtime where sophomore Patrick Murphy scored the winner to put the on 9th seeded Lakers (18-5-0) to victory in Round 2 at Hobomock Ice Arena. “It took a little patience to get over this,” said Silver Lake coach Dan Scott. “Eventually it would come and our boys never gave up.” Silver Lake, now with a program record 18 wins, meets top seed Tewksbury in the quarterfinals.

State of Division 3

Hopedale 4, West Springfield 2 — Milford’s Cam Collins had a hat-trick and an assist and the 5th-seeded Raiders (19-1) prevailed in the round of 16 game at the New England Sports Center in Marlborough.

Lynnfield 7, Nausea 1 — Drew Damiani posted a hat-trick and an assist, and Aidan Burke recorded two goals and two assists to win the fourth-ranked Pioneers (18-3-1) over the thirteenth-ranked Warriors in a round of 16 match at McVann-O’Keefe Memorial Rink in Peabody. Joe Raffa and Tyler Scoppettuolo also lit the lamp, Chase Carney had four assists and Patrick Barrett and Will Steadman each added an assist for Lynnfield, who will meet the West Springfield-Hopedale winner in a state quarterfinals. Pete Murphy scored the long goal for Nauset.

Medway 5, Medfield 2 — Evan Monaghan made 41 saves and the No. 6 Mustangs (19-3) had five players who beat their Tri-Valley rivals the No. 11 Warriors (12-7-1) at Sgt. Pirelli Veterans Arena in Franklin. Nathan VanSaun Henry Eaton, Jack Carr, Ryan Gagnon and Pari Lykourinos all scored for Medway.

Scituate 5, Dighton-Rehoboth/Seekonk 3 — Brendan Boyle and Teagan Pratt each scored twice for the second-placed Sailors (17-7) in the second-round win at the Gallo Arena.

State of Division 4

Shawsheen 5, Winthrop 3 — Quinn Fallon and Chase Darcey both scored twice, and Aiden MacLeod made a whopping 47 saves to put the 12th-seeded Rams (16-5-1) at the 5th-seeded Vikings (11-10-1) at Larsen Rink defeat. “[MacLeod] made some really good saves against fold. It really took our game to another level,” said Shawsheen coach Chuck Baker, who felt the energy on the bench after every save. “We could play pretty much any team in the division if we showed up,” Baker said. Shawsheen meets No. 4 Sandwich in the quarterfinals.

Watertown 8, Dedham 1 — Senior Mason Andrade and junior Jack Dickie both scored two goals, and student Alec Banosian (one goal, three assists) added four points to help the second-seeded Raiders (12-9-1) win in the second round John A Ryan Skating Arena. “The boys are flying,” said Watertown coach John Vlachos, who reached the quarterfinals for the first time in his five-year tenure. “The team works hard in all three phases of the game.” Watertown meets No. 7 Grafton in the quarter-finals.

Brendan Kurie reported from Walpole and Maxwell Smith from Warrior Ice Arena. Sarah Barber, Vitoria Poejo and Joseph Pohoryles contributed to this story. To report results, call 617-929-2860/3235 or email Tweet scores @GlobeSchools.

Jim Clark can be reached at

Leave a Comment