Which badminton set is the best?
Badminton is not as popular as it was at the height of its fame, but many people still enjoy the sport to this day. It’s similar to tennis in that you need a net and some racquets, but it differs in that you need special feathered balls called shuttlecocks, and it takes up much less space to play.
Badminton sets such as the Baden Champions Standard Size Nylon Net Badminton Set include all of these items to allow up to four people to play together.
What you should know before buying a badminton set
what is included
Badminton sets can contain a variety of items.
- Racquets and Shuttlecocks: All badminton sets contain at least two rackets and at least one shuttlecock. Most sets contain four racquets for doubles games and two or more shuttlecocks.
- Nets: Nets are common in badminton sets but not always included. When included in the kit, everything needed to set up the net is also included, such as poles and guide wires.
- Cases: Most sets are packed in a storage and travel case. If you plan to travel with the set, make sure it comes with a good suitcase. If you only use it at home, it’s ok to buy one without a case.
- Boundary Marks: A rare inclusion, to be sure, but a welcome one. Boundary markings make it much easier to define the field of play, but are not usually required for friendlies.
Some badminton sets are designed for other backyard games like volleyball or lawn tennis. These sets can use nets, which you can use interchangeably, or they can include all of the gear needed for multiple sports.
What you should look for in a high-quality badminton set
Better racquets are characterized by weight, string tension and grip circumference.
- Weight: The lighter the racket, the easier it is to control. Therefore, most badminton sets include light or medium weight racquets.
- string tension: It may seem wrong, but the higher the string tension, the less power is transferred to the shuttlecock. As a result, most sets use racquets with medium to high string tension. But that also makes them more likely to break.
- grip circumference: Thicker grips provide more power, while thinner grips provide more control. Most sets use racquets that walk the line between the two.
If a net is included, it can be either freestanding or attached. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
- detached Networks are much easier to set up. Just drop the poles and stretch out the net. However, they are just as easily knocked over.
- Tethered Networks require more effort to set up as you need to establish multiple policies to keep them stable. You can’t use them indoors either. However, once set up properly, they’re not going anywhere.
How much you can spend on a badminton set
Badminton sets typically cost $20 to $250. Basic sets typically cost $50 or less, although they may not be the specified size. Average sets typically cost up to $100, while professional sets can cost up to $250.
Frequently asked questions about badminton set
Is badminton a good game for kids?
A Absolutely. All it takes to play badminton is a good attitude and sensible hand-eye coordination. Normally children over 5 years old can play and have a wonderful time. However, you should consider playing one-on-one or two-on-two situations with kids so you don’t see rackets being banged into other kids instead of the shuttlecock.
Is a badminton net safe to leave outside?
A It depends on your badminton set. Most sets include nylon nets and plastic poles, both of which are naturally weather resistant. If your set includes metal poles, you might want to dismantle them if inclement weather is on the way.
Is badminton dangerous?
A All sports involve some degree of risk and badminton is no different. However, badminton tends to be a safer sport than most. Aside from the usual risks of injury from strenuous activity, there is a risk of being hit by a racket, hit by a shuttlecock, and tripping over or stepping on guide wires and stakes.
What is the best badminton set to buy?
Top badminton set
Baden champion badminton set
What you need to know: This is a great set for any garden.
What you will love: Included are a prescribed size nylon net with associated poles and guidelines, four racquets, three shuttlecocks, a boundary line and a carrying bag. The bright orange color makes everything easy to see in any light. Most consumers found it quick and easy to set up.
What you should consider: Some consumers didn’t like the bottom of the poles with flat discs – this allows the net to be used on any ground, but you can’t stick them into the ground for extra stability.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon and Dick’s Sporting Goods
Best badminton set for the money
Franklin Sports badminton set
What you need to know: This set is dirt cheap and easy to use on the go.
What you will love: Included are an all-weather net with associated poles and guidelines, four racquets, two shuttlecocks and a carry bag. The set is available in four tiers of progressively higher quality. It is quick to assemble and disassemble and easy to store away.
What you should consider: Some customers have had issues with the lower end racquets, particularly with the strings. Others found the net poles and shuttlecocks rather weak.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon
It’s worth trying
Senston badminton set
What you need to know: These racquets and shuttlecocks are perfect for those who already have a net.
What you will love: Included are four racquets with a large carrying case that fits all four and a tube of six shuttlecocks. Each racquet is made of graphite and comes in a different color – black, white, pink and either purple or green depending on the set.
What you should consider: This set is intended for backyard play, not professional play. Some buyers found that the racquets are not as durable as they could be.
Where to buy: Sold by Amazon
Do you want to buy the best products at the best prices? Check out BestReviews daily deals.
Sign up here to receive the weekly BestReviews newsletter with useful advice on new products and notable offers.
Jordan C. Woika writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2022 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.