Hello everyone! I’m back in your inbox this morning to guide you through everything you need to know about what’s happening in Avon-Avon Lake these days.
Today’s weather first:
A thunderstorm in places. High: 78 Low: 63.
Here are the top three stories from Avon-Avon Lake today:
- It’s already time to register for the Avon Ohio Little League Fall Ball. Fall baseball/softball umpire registration is also now open. Registration closes on July 31st. Visit www.avonlittleleague.com. The fall baseball and softball season begins the last week of July and ends the first week of October (subject to change). Registration is open until July 24th. Visit www.avonlittleleague.com. This fall, the Little League program will feature: Baseball (open to Avon and Avon Lake residents) Majors Baseball (league ages 10-12) Minor Baseball (league ages 8-10). All league rookie players at age 8 are promoted to underage baseball. Coach Pitch Baseball is (league ages 6-7). Please note that there is no T-Ball division in the fall. Softball (open to Avon residents only), underage softball (league ages 8-11). Coach Pitch Softball (league ages 6-7). Please note that there are no T-ball, rookie, or major divisions in the fall.” (Avon Ohio Little League via Facebook)
- Gas prices are trending downwards in the region. Gasoline now averages $4.58 a gallon in Cleveland and is down 15.6 cents over the past week, according to data released by GasBuddy on Monday. A month ago, gasoline cost 46.4 cents more. A year ago, a gallon of gas was $1.63 less than it is today. Don’t get too excited just yet. GasBuddy says we could see another rise in gas prices this August. (3News WKYC)
- Register now for the 2nd Annual Summer Baseball and Softball Classic taking place on Tuesday, July 19th. The program is run in partnership with Avon Lake High School! The Summer Classic is open to Avon Lake residents only. St. Joe’s students are allowed to register. If you are a non-resident St. Joe’s student, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Whether you play recreational league, CVBA, or weekend travel ball, you’ll want to meet the coaches and players at our week-long event. New this year is the addition of a K-2. Class Skills Clinic. All programs are coached or supervised by Avon Lake High School’s collegiate coaches, their staff and players. Programs are held at Weiss Park, 33401 Webber Road, Avon Lake. (Avon Lake)
From our sponsor:
- Tree Commission – City of Avon – Fire Service (7:30pm)
- Tree Commission – City of Avon – Parks & Recreation (7:30pm)
- Tree Commission – City of Avon – Community Events (7:30pm)
- Anne E. DeChant – In Concert! – Avon Lake Public Library (8:30pm)
From my notebook:
- Cleveland Cavaliers: “We surprised Myles Garrett with his own jerseys for #CavsSummer. Thanks for showing the home team some love @flash_garrett ✨” (Cleveland Cavaliers via Instagram)
- Avon Lake Athletic Boosters: “Friday is the deadline to save money on early bird tickets, so get yours today –> https://www.avonlakeathleticboosters.org/event/19.” (Avon Lake Athletic Boosters via Facebook)
- Avon Ohio Little League: “While the Avon Little League does not have a fall league for our older players, we encourage our incoming 7th through 12th graders to look to our neighbors to the north. Avon Lake has a fall Thurman-Munson baseball program for grades 7 through 12 that they can attend that fall.” (Avon Ohio Little League via Facebook)
- Avon Youth Lacrosse Association: “Sign up this week near by! We will be hosting Summer Clinics on the Vets Park Front fields again on four Saturdays in August and registration is now open. The clinic is for kids of all skill levels, including beginners.” (Avon Youth Lacrosse Association via Facebook)
More from our sponsors – thanks for supporting local news!
You’re officially posted today! Up soon.
— Karen Garrity
About me: Journalism is in my blood! I’ve been a community reporter for almost 20 years. I love my small town community and am honored to be a part of Patch.com. You can reach me at …; email@example.com.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Avon-Avon Lake Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org